Middle School Information
MYP – Middle Years Programme
Alturas International Academy is proud to be in the beginning stages for accreditation of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) for our 2017-2018 school year for the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students. The International Baccalaureate Organization offers a program designed specifically to meet the changing needs of the middle years schooling for students age 11-16.
The students participate in the following core courses throughout the school year:
- Language Acquisition: Foreign Language Learning
- Language and Literature: English/Language Arts
- Mathematics: Standard Mathematics and Extended Mathematics
- Individuals & Societies: Social Sciences and Humanities
- Sciences: General and Specialized Sciences
- Arts: Visual and Performing Arts
- Physical and Health Education: Support for a Balanced and Healthy Lifestyle
- Design: Digital and Product Design, Design Cycle, and Problem-Solving Skills
During their participation in the MYP, students will also engage in interdisciplinary projects, community projects, and individual projects. These are designed to help students develop personal growth, provide service within the local community, and encourage their connection with the world.
For more information, please visit the International Baccalaureate Organization website: http://ibo.org/programmes/middle-years-programme/
Multi-age classes and small group work at instructional levels will continue to be implemented in the MYP as it has been for the PYP.