Alturas Prep Home Page (Gr 6-10)
growing to 12th grade
- Alturas to Open Middle/High School in Idaho Falls in 2021
- A rigorous new high school will open in Idaho Falls for the 2021-22 school year. The management and board of Alturas International Academy (AIA) was unanimously approved for a new charter school called Alturas Preparatory Academy (APA) at a meeting of the Idaho Public Charter School Commission on August 13. Upon receiving state approval, the new school was awarded a grant last week from the J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Family Foundation to help fund the purchase and renovation of the school’s future home: the former Sears building in the Grand Teton Mall.
- Alturas leadership selected the 73,000-square-foot former Sears building after many months of searching and weighing options. Architectural plans call for 30 classrooms, science labs, common areas, an art room, drama room, music room, gym, wide hallways, and abundant natural light. In a unique twist, each classroom will feature large overhead doors – in addition to regular man doors – that allow the rooms to open into larger collaborative spaces.
- Like Alturas International Academy (AIA), APA will seek authorization as an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School. IB offers a rigorous diploma program and a more traditional career-oriented program. AIA is currently the only authorized IB World School in Eastern Idaho.
- The school’s plan includes 6th through 10th grade in the first year, adding 11th and 12th over the next two years. Just as at AIA, enrollment will be determined by a lottery system, with priority given to current AIA students and their siblings, while no preference is given based on academic performance or financial resources. Ultimately, the school’s capacity is expected to reach 96 students per grade. Bingham is slated to become the principal of Alturas Prep once it opens, while Ball will remain in her position as Executive Director over both schools. Reece Drkula, a current teacher at AIA, will take over as AIA principal following a year of administrative training with Ball and Bingham.
- Admission Process