Each year Alturas has a limited number of seats available for new students. If the capacity of the school is insufficient to enroll all prospective students, a lottery shall be utilized to determine which prospective students will be admitted to Alturas.
We hold an annual lottery where:
1) names are assigned a random number (this becomes the Lottery Draw number),
2) sorted by random Lottery Draw number (lowest to highest),
3) openings are filled based on the random Lottery Draw number assigned (lowest to highest), then
4) those not offered a seat are placed in Lottery Draw number order (lowest to highest) on a waiting list (wait lists do not carryover year to year).
Alturas International Academy is a public charter school open to any student regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, social or economic status and/or special needs.
How to Apply to the Lottery
A lottery application must be completed and submitted to Alturas International Academy for all students interested in attending Alturas. The State of Idaho requires that your child be 5 years old by September 1st of the year they start kindergarten (please refer to Idaho Code Statute 33-201). Proof of birth date is required prior to enrolling.
When to Apply to the Lottery
Alturas International Academy will begin accepting lottery applications for the next academic school year mid-January. The application window closes on March 31. Lottery Applications received after the deadline will be placed at the bottom of the waiting list in the order it is received.
Students must be 5 years old by September 1 the year they are enrolling in kindergarten to be eligible for application and enrollment. You must submit an online application by March 31 to be considered part of the lottery for the school year beginning the following August/September.
When is the Lottery
Alturas International Academy holds the lottery on the first Friday of April. The lottery is open to the public.
Alturas International Academy will follow Idaho Code 33-5205
- First Priority - Students returning to Alturas International Academy.
- Second Priority - Children of full-time employees, children of the Founders, provided that this admission preference is not more than ten percent (10%) of the capacity.
- Third Priority - Siblings of students already enrolled or selected by the lottery.
- Fourth Priority - Prospective students who reside within District 91, District 93, or Shelley District 60
- Fifth Priority - Prospective students who reside outside of District 91, District 93, Shelley District 60
Offers for Enrollment
All students that secure placement during the lottery will receive an email or phone call from Alturas International Academy within 3 days of the lottery (please make sure to check your spam/junk email folders). Offers of enrollment must be accepted within the date* provided in the email or phone call. If no response is received within the specified time frame, the seat is forfeited and the student's name is removed. Students that do not secure placement during the lottery will be placed on the waiting list and will be contacted if a space becomes available.
*The timeline may be shortened to 24 hours between August 15 and September 15.
Students not selected for placement will be placed on a waiting list by grade. Within 3 days of the lottery, families that have applied to the lottery/waitlist can view their wait list number by signing into their SchoolMint account.
Alturas International Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, social or economic status, disability, or special needs in providing education services, activities, and programs.